Terms and conditions of use of WaterAid’s Asset Bank and the reproduction of pictures and videos
In these Terms and Conditions the following definitions apply:
the term ‘picture’ refers to a photograph, transparency, negative, design, artwork, painting, engraving or any other item which may be offered for the purpose of reproduction
the word 'footage' refers to a clip/s from an edited film, a shot or shots taken from B-roll or a VNR, or an animated sequence
the word 'film' refers to a completed WaterAid edited film product which should never be adapted in any way without consultation with WaterAid's Film Team.
the term ‘reproduction’ refers to any form of publication or copying of the whole or part of any picture, footage or film whether altered or not and whether by printing, photography slide projection (whether to an audience or not), xerography, electronic or mechanical reproduction or storage, or for use as artist’s reference, illustration or source inspiration or in a layout or presentation.
1. By accessing and using this platform you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions described herein. If you do not agree with any of these Terms and Conditions, you are unable to use this site. By accepting, you confirm that you have read all the Terms and Conditions and that you will abide by them. On this basis, WaterAid will provide you with a registered account to access and use the system.
2. WaterAid reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions at any time without prior notice. Your continued access to the asset bank after such changes indicates your acceptance of the revised Terms and Conditions.
3. If you register for an account, this is solely for your use. Your password and log in details should not be shared with anyone else.
4. WaterAid hereby grants you a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable right to use the images and footage under these Terms and Conditions. Should you violate the terms of this agreement, your licence will be deemed automatically revoked.
5. Subject to paragraph 4 above permission is granted for a one off use only. Please contact WaterAid if you wish to use the image or footage again or on a repeated basis. The image or footage should not be stored for longer than necessary to complete the task for which it was obtained, upon which it should be deleted.
6. Under no circumstances may a picture or footage be copied, sub-licensed, sold, or otherwise disposed of without the written consent of WaterAid. No photograph may be published, transmitted or stored in any electronic or multi-media format without WaterAid’s written permission.
7. Under no circumstances may you alter, add to, or manipulate a photograph or film by means of computer or any other technique or reproduce a picture in whole or in part as an element within another picture without WaterAid’s prior written consent. Such alterations of a picture are protected by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988.
8. The material is supplied on loan and is the property of WaterAid and/or the photographer/filmmaker(s).
9. A picture may only be reproduced with or in the spirit of the accompanying caption. It is your responsibility to check that accompanying captions and case study information is correct and up to date. In the event there is no caption accompanying a photograph in Asset Bank, it is your responsibility to verify the proper caption with WaterAid prior to publication. If using WaterAid footage it must not be used outside of the context of the way it was supplied or edited in a way that misrepresents the original.
10. A caption may only be used with the image to which it is related. Any personal data included in the caption must be the minimum needed for the purposes to which the image is used. Quotes must be attributed accurately to the person depicted in the photograph.
11. When publishing photographs or footage of minors you must not publish any other data that could make the child identifiable. For example, you must not publish their surname or that of any of their family members.
12. WaterAid accepts no liability for your use of the picture or footage. You must satisfy yourself that all necessary rights, model releases or consents which may be required for your use of the image are obtained before you use the image, and you are responsible for identifying your lawful basis for processing the image. You acknowledge that WaterAid gives no warranty or undertaking that any such rights, releases or consents are or will be obtained, whether in relation to the use of names, people, trademarks, registered or copyright designs or works of art depicted in any picture. In the event that a picture is used or reproduced by the user, the user shall indemnify WaterAid against any loss, damage, proceedings or costs where such rights, releases or consents have not been obtained.
13. WaterAid reserves the right to require that you cease use of an image should it become aware of any reason why its use is no longer permissible for any reason.
14. Each picture must be credited in the following manner: ‘WaterAid/Photographer’s Name’. When film or footage is used it must be credited by referencing ‘WaterAid footage’.